We are aware that Google is the most powerful search engine, and when it comes to SEO, Google is the first thing that comes to mind. That said, is there an alternative that we can explore to get great results? Should we rely only on Google or is there any other website that can match the sheer size of Google? I'd say the answer is YouTube.
YouTube is the second most popular search engine, which is all the more reason for marketers to explore this option. You might be wondering why YouTube is called a search engine. If you think about it, that’s exactly what it is. You can say it’s a search engine for videos.
Like Google, YouTube has its SEO practices- just like how you aim to rank higher on Google SERP page, you’d want to rank your videos high on YouTube SERP’s. That said, YouTube SEO is different as compared to regular SEO.
I’m listing out a few techniques that will help you rank #1 on YouTube’s SERP. These techniques can put you on the road to success.
● Become an Authority for a Specific Niche- YouTube doesn’t have an EAT algorithm like Google; however, it is very similar. Videos/channels that tend to focus on one particular niche usually do well as compared to channels that speak about everything under the sun. The simple reason is the niche-focused channels tend to keep people or viewers longer on that particular channel. Google wants to rank authoritative channels who are experts on a particular subject, rather than some random channels whose focus is all over. Focusing on one particular niche helps you rank better the YouTube SERP page.
● Keyword Research- Do your keyword research, but focus on the value of your content. Always keep in mind that YouTube values retention. YouTube measures two factors- how long someone watches your video and how long someone spent on YouTube. The longer you manage to keep someone on YouTube, the better your chances of ranking higher as it gives YouTube a lot of ad income. You can go after keywords and optimize title tags and repeat keywords numerous times for YouTube to pick up, but good content keeps them hooked to channel longer. Always target keywords with good search volumes, if not you’re not going to get search traffic. Although YouTube doesn’t have an official keyword search tool, you can use tools like Ubersuggest to figure out competitive keywords.
● Keep an eye out for What’s Working within your Market - Your audience is not just watching your channel and content, there are many competitors within your niche. Analyze your competitors’ videos and content and see what’s working for them, try and emulate their concepts and ideas- emulating doesn’t mean you copy their content word to word but have your take on the topic that they are talking on. By doing this, you can edge your competitors.
● Add Eye-Catching Thumbnails – Video thumbnail isn’t a ranking factor that YouTube considers but it has a positive impact on your SEO. A good thumbnail gets your video more clicks and more clicks mean better SEO. Many people click on your videos by looking at the thumbnails but ensure you don’t mislead your viewers as it may lead to a quick bounce rate. Make sure your thumbnail stands out from the rest, tell your viewers what your video is all about.
● Encourage People to Subscribe – You may wonder why this is important but getting subscribers is a big deal on YouTube and it is one the key factors for YouTube’s algorithm to rank videos. You must understand that liking, and commenting is one time-action, but subscribing means people can view your posts and content regularly. This tells YouTube that you are providing value-added content to your viewers and plays as a huge ranking factor for your channel.
● Long format Videos – Ensure you have long and engaging videos. If you’re not emoting well in your videos or if your videos are not long enough, then you’re not going to do well. If you have short videos, YouTube doesn’t give your videos much clout and all of your videos won't rank as high as you expect it to be. In the worst case, you might not get more suggestions for your videos. The key time duration for YouTube can be 5 min and above, anything less than that can be really difficult to rank high unless you are going after terms that aren’t competitive, which means it's not going to generate traffic or subscribers.
● Add closed captions – A simple hack that gives you a huge edge over your competitors, YouTube videos support closed captions. The best part about closed captions is it's crawlable by search engines. Meaning you will get a good boost for SEO if you enable closed captions, although YouTube supports automatic captions it doesn’t add value as it isn’t perfect.
Written by Pradeep Kumaar, CEO Neil Patel Digital & Stan Ventures
Eros International PLC (NYSE:EROS) (“Eros International”), a global Indian entertainment company and STX Filmworks, Inc. (“STX Entertainment”), a global, next generation media company, today announced they had entered into a definitive stock-for-stock merger agreement to create the first publicly traded, independent content and distribution company with global reach and unique positions in the United States, India and China.
STX Entertainment is a fully-integrated global media company specializing in the production, marketing, and distribution of talent-driven motion picture, television and multimedia content. It is the first major entertainment and media company to be launched at this scale in Hollywood in more than twenty years.
Founded in 2014, STX Entertainment is a leading independent Hollywood studio focused on producing, marketing, owning and distributing film and television content for global audiences across traditional and digital media platforms. To date, the company has released 34 films grossing over $1.5bn in global box office receipts, including such leading titles as Hustlers, Bad Moms and The Upside. STX Entertainment has a deep global distribution network spanning 150+ countries with world-class partners. STX Entertainment has a differentiated asset-lite, capital efficient business model, unique strategic relationships and well-established access to the Chinese entertainment market. STX Entertainment generated revenue of over $400 million in calendar year 2019.
The combined company, to be called Eros STX Global Corporation, will have a robust pipeline of feature length films and episodic content with powerful, well-established positions in the world’s fastest-growth global markets. The combined company, with $125 million of incremental equity, will boast a strong and revamped capital structure and superior liquidity position at close with $264 million of pro forma net debt, $195 million of pro forma cash balance and $120 million of available revolver capacity as of December 31, 2019. The combined company, which following the consummation of the transaction will be publicly traded on NYSE, will possess a strong management team led by highly experienced executives from both entities.
“We are thrilled to join with STX Entertainment as this represents a landmark step in our company’s transformation. We are already at an inflection point as we move to a more consistent, stable and high growth revenue profile with our digital over-the-top (“OTT”) platform. This merger will not only fuel our growth but will also diversify our underlying sources of revenue and subscribers with a truly global play, building a powerhouse between East and West. We are well positioned to create long-term value for our shareholders, partners and employees,” said Kishore Lulla Executive Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Eros International. “Collectively, we will have a unique capability to present our film and episodic libraries and pipeline of original content to a broad and growing global audience through multi-year output deals, strategic alliances and our market leading Eros Now streaming platform.”
Mr. Lulla continued, “This company will be financially strong and uniquely positioned to compete immediately thanks to its global footprint, strong revenue and recapitalized balance sheet, including a large new equity commitment. These significant investments and no meaningful debt maturities in the near-term enable the company to pursue strategic investments in key growth areas, including traditional and digital distribution, film acquisition, TV production and development of original episodic content.”
Robert Simonds, Executive Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of STX Entertainment stated, “The combination of our two companies creates the first truly independent media company that deeply integrates the expertise and creative cultures of Hollywood and Bollywood. Kishore is a legend in the Indian entertainment industry and a pioneer in OTT content development and distribution in India. Together we will have the relationships, management expertise and resources to create new content and grow rapidly in the largest and most attractive global markets. On day one, we will have the ability to tap into our significant combined libraries and draw upon our deep relationships with A-list actors, directors and producers across the globe to create even more compelling content for millions of consumers.”
Transformational Combination Creates Strategic and Financial Benefits
• Robust pipeline of film and episodic content with multi-channel distribution: The combined company is projected to release approximately 40 feature length films, including seven sequels to prior hits and 100+ originals of episodic content, in 2020. The combined company’s global multi-channel distribution across pay-TV via Showtime, digital via Netflix, Hulu, Amazon and Eros Now, the #1 Subscription Video on Demand (“SVOD”) platform for Indian content based on size of OTT library, reduces reliance on theatrical monetization. Eros Now’s strategic and distribution partnerships with Apple, NBCUniversal, Microsoft and YouTube, as well as STX Entertainment’s global output and distribution agreements covering 150+ territories, provides unique opportunities for rapid content proliferation.
• Well-established positions in the fastest growing and largest global markets: In India, the world’s fastest growing media market, the combined company will have a leading box office presence and one of the largest libraries of Indian language films. In China, the world’s second fastest growing media market, the combined company will have existing production and distribution capabilities plus relationships with the most popular “A-list” talent in this market. In the United States, the combined company will have the leading box office share among independent Hollywood studios, with a successful film library and a substantial film and episodic content pipeline.
• Strong capital structure and fully funded business plan enables long term stability and drives growth investment: Recapitalized balance sheet with $125 million of incremental new equity funding and meaningful extension of average debt maturities. The combined company will have a fully-funded business plan, a conservative capital structure, and superior liquidity position with $264 million of pro forma net debt, $195 million of pro forma cash balance and $120 million of revolver capacity as of December 31, 2019. In addition, the new company’s risk-mitigated production / distribution model requires limited company equity investment to produce content at scale, features low overhead and utilizes third-party funding to drive attractive margins and returns on investment.
• Substantial operating synergy opportunities: The combined company is expected to generate approximately $50 million in run-rate operating synergies within 24 months of closing, stemming from integration and scale benefits, optimization of global content distribution and enhanced monetization of the Eros Now platform.
• A newly constituted board of directors and senior leadership team: The initial Board of Directors of the combined company will include nine board members comprised of highly regarded media, private equity and public company executives with four Directors selected by Eros International (with one independent Director), four Directors selected by STX Entertainment (with one independent Director) and one independent Director selected jointly. Drawing talent from both companies, the combined entity will have a team of industry-leading creative, operational and financial experts, with deep knowledge of key global growth markets and U.S. public company governance experience. In addition to Mr. Lulla and Mr. Simonds, Andrew Warren, currently STX Entertainment’s Chief Financial Officer, will serve as CFO; Rishika Lulla Singh, currently Chairman of Eros Digital, and Noah Fogelson, currently STX Entertainment’s EVP of Corporate Strategy and General Counsel, will each serve as Co-Presidents; and Prem Parameswaran, currently Chief Financial Officer of Eros International, will serve as Head of Corporate Strategy. To ensure sustained market focus, Adam Fogelson will continue to serve as Chairman of STX Motion Pictures Group, while Pradeep Dwivedi will continue to serve as CEO-India.
Global digital agency, Isobar, part of Dentsu Aegis Network (DAN), announced that research firm Gartner, Inc. has placed the company in the Leaders quadrant in its “Magic Quadrant for Global Marketing Agencies” for the sixth consecutive time.
The report evaluated 18 digital marketing agencies.
Isobar Global CEO, Jean Lin, said, “Isobar’s ability to deliver superior idea-led customer experiences that transform businesses and brands has been consistently recognized. We are pleased Gartner recognizes us among Leaders that execute well against their current vision and are well positioned for tomorrow.”
Isobar South Asia Group MD, Shamsuddin Jasani, added, "We believe that being recognized as a Leader for the sixth consecutive time on Gartner's Magic Quadrant in the Global Marketing Agencies category only highlights our ongoing commitment to bring together experience design and transformation practices that solve for real world business problems.”
Source: Gartner, Magic Quadrant for Global Marketing Agencies, Jay Wilson, Ewan McIntyre, Laurel Erickson, 30 March 2020.
Even in these times of distress, our doctors, policemen, shopkeepers, sanitation workers, journalists, and newspaper vendors are out there risking it all. Just so we can feel a little safer. *#HTSalutes* these bravehearts and their undying spirit.
Share this film with every braveheart you know and let them know how grateful you are for their service to the nation.
Share your pictures or videos saluting the COVID-19 warriors around you and get featured.
Statement from Mr. Deepak Lamba, CEO of Worldwide Media, on ceasing print production and offering April issue of Filmfare, Grazia India, Femina, Lonely Planet Magazine India, and GoodHomes for free
In the light of the coronavirus pandemic and its alarming consequences, we at the Worldwide Media have taken a decision to suspend the print content production of our much-revered publications – Filmfare, Grazia India, Femina, Lonely Planet Magazine India, GoodHomes and Hello!. In consideration of the current lockdown, safety of our team and vendors across the country and the unprecedented disruptions caused in the supply chain, we will follow a digital-first-publishing schedule for our content, until further notice.
We have always been committed to present our readers with distinctive, exclusive, and engaging content and we will continue to do so, in these difficult times as well. Following that, the April e-issue of Filmfare, Grazia India, Femina, Lonely Planet Magazine India and GoodHomes will be available at free-of-cost for everyone. All the e-magazines will be available for both subscribers and non-subscribers on the respective websites along with our social media handles. Adding on, our subscribers will also have an additional month of free subscription to all the five magazines.
We would like to urge everyone to do their bit and stay home in ensuring the safety and security of everyone, and of the society at large.