Zee Tamil has always aimed at providing its viewers with fresh, thought-provoking, and entertaining content.
Be it clutter-breaking reality shows like Survivor, Junior Super Stars and Super Queen, or inspirational fiction shows like Ninaithale Inikkum, Vidhya No 1 and Rajini, or showcasing World Television Premieres such as Karnan, Thalaivi and Chithirai Sevvanam, the channel has been at the forefront of presenting the Tamil audience with new and exciting content recently. Adding to its list of engaging shows and programs, Zee Tamil is all set to bring to viewers the premiere of popular, whodunit thriller series – Vilangu. The mysterious crime drama, which received an overwhelming response on Zee5, is now all set for a special premiere on Zee Tamil on 20th February, Sunday at 10 pm.
Directed by Prashanth Pandiyaraj, Vilangu features popular actor Vimal as a cop who takes on the responsibility of solving a mysterious crime that has kept the whole police department on its toes. In fact, the thriller series attempts to break the stereotypical image of a cop associated with popular whodunit movies in Tamil Cinema and establish the gruesome reality that solving a mystery is not an easy job. It even showcases how anyone trying to crack a case faces a lot of struggle, sacrifice, and failure at each stage of the investigation through its engaging narrative. The realistic portrayal of the subject, the nail-biting sequences, as well as Vimal’s fantastic performance as a cop, makes Vilangu a must-watch.
So, what are you waiting for, tune in to Vilangu on 20th Feb, Sunday at 10 pm, only on Zee Tamil
ViacomCBS today announced that the global media company will become Paramount Global (referred to as "Paramount"), effective February 16, bringing together its leading portfolio of premium entertainment properties under a new parent company name.
Paramount is an idea: A promise to be the best," said Shari Redstone, Non-Executive Chair of the company's Board of Directors. "That promise has always been at the center of what we aspired to build as the steward of more than a century of cinematic excellence, and with businesses and brands that have defined and redefined entertainment for generation after generation. We have made enormous progress, and I have never been more excited about the future of this company."
"Paramount's iconic peak represents a rich history for our company as pioneers in the Golden Age of Hollywood. Today, as we embrace the Paramount name, we are pioneers of an exciting new future," said Bob Bakish, President and Chief Executive Officer.
The company's shares will trade on the Nasdaq stock exchange as PARAA (Class A common), PARA (Class B common) and PARAP (Preferred Stock), beginning with trading on February 17, 2022, at 9:30 a.m. ET.
In addition to the name change, the company detailed plans to accelerate the global momentum behind Paramount+, unveiling new content, enhanced product offerings and continued international expansion at its investor event.
"We see a huge global opportunity in streaming, a much larger potential market than can be captured by linear TV and film alone," continued Bakish. "We're excited about our ability to not just compete, but thrive, creating significant value for both consumers and shareholders. How? Because we're broader in four key areas: our diverse content, streaming model, mix of platforms and global reach. As we look forward, the size of the opportunity we see is matched only by our ambition to seize it."
BROAD CONTENT OFFERING
Today's event demonstrated the global power of fan-favorite IP with an expansive slate of exciting programming announcements. Paramount+ will continue to deliver the most diverse content offering in streaming across every genre at scale, including beloved franchise extensions and all-new buzzworthy originals spanning must-see movies, scripted dramas, unscripted reality TV, comedy, kids and family, sports, news, specials and events to super-serve the entire household.
"On Paramount+, we have something for everyone," said Tanya Giles, Chief Programming Officer, Streaming. "We are taking our broad content offering and deepening it with more content in key categories, building on our treasure trove of IP to create lasting, hit franchises."
Movies, Kids and Family
The best of the big screen keeps coming to Paramount+. The company announced that starting with 2024 film releases, Paramount+ will become the streaming home for all new Paramount Pictures movies in the U.S. following their theatrical runs.
New blockbuster franchise expansions also unveiled today include:
A QUIET PLACE – A Quiet Place Part III from John Krasinski, is confirmed for theatrical debut in 2025. As previously announced, the next installment of A Quiet Place from director Michael Sarnoski, based on an original idea from Krasinski, is set for release on September 22, 2023.
SONIC THE HEDGEHOG – the first-ever original live-action Sonic series, featuring the character Knuckles, voiced by Idris Elba, is in development to debut on Paramount+, setting up the third film installment in the flagship franchise.
SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS UNIVERSE – a further expansion of the SpongeBob universe is coming exclusively to Paramount+ with three brand-new movies based on the show's original characters, with the first dropping in 2023. In addition, a fourth SpongeBob release from Nickelodeon Animation is currently in development for theatrical release.
STAR TREK – the next theatrical film, with Matt Shakman directing and J.J. Abrams producing, will feature the original cast and new characters.
TEEN WOLF – the first-ever original production from MTV Entertainment Studios and MGM's Orion Television, Paramount+ will reunite the original Teen Wolf cast for an exclusive full-length movie. Tyler Posey, Holland Roden, Shelley Hennig and Crystal Reed are set to reprise their iconic roles alongside Orny Adams, Linden Ashby, JR Bourne, Seth Gilliam, Colton Haynes, Ryan Kelley, Melissa Ponzio and Dylan Sprayberry. Additional names to be announced.
TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES – a new era of TMNT-mania takes over in 2023 with a new animated take on the Turtles coming to theaters, produced by Point Grey Pictures' Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg and directed by Jeff Rowe. Nickelodeon Animation will fast follow that film with a series of exclusive movies for Paramount+ beginning in 2023, each centering on one of the property's storied villains in never-before-told tales.
TRANSFORMERS – the next chapter begins with Transformers: Rise of the Beasts in 2023, where director Steven Caple Jr. and star Anthony Ramos, will lead the first of three film installments of the iconic Hasbro property. Additionally, the previously announced Untitled Animated Transformers film, a Paramount/eOne co-production with Josh Cooley attached to direct, will debut in theaters on July 19, 2024.
Other Kids and Family content announcements included updates to animated preschool favorites:
Blue's Big City Adventure – the now-announced animation/live-action hybrid title to this brand-new Blue's Clues & You! movie from Nickelodeon Animation is set to premiere later this year and follows host Josh and Blue as they head to New York City, with the help of Steve and Joe, to audition for a big Broadway musical.
Dora the Explorer – the preschool return of the groundbreaking Latina heroine in an all-new CG-animated series produced by Nickelodeon Animation, and featuring the beloved characters, plus key modernization to the storytelling, debuts in 2023.
Additionally, an update in Kids and Family live-action programming included:
Dora the Explorer – in addition to the character's animated preschool return, now in development from Nickelodeon is the first-ever live-action Dora the Explorer series, inspired by the tone of Paramount Pictures' 2019 Dora and the Lost City of Gold theatrical release, with this new version for Paramount+ targeting the tween demo.
Adult Animation and Global Unscripted
Paramount+ doubles down on adult animation with new takes and news on two of the most successful and well-known IP in the history of the genre:
BEAVIS AND BUTT-HEAD – the duo is back and stupider than ever in an all-new series premiering across Paramount+ globally. Alongside this fresh take, the full 200+ episode Beavis and Butt-Head library and previously announced new film, Beavis and Butt-Head do the Universe, will also arrive on the service.
SOUTH PARK – the TV series will arrive on Paramount+ internationally as the exclusive SVOD home later this year with over 300 episodes. Additionally, South Park will begin rolling out on Paramount+ globally as the new exclusive SVOD home starting with Season 27 in 2024, and the full library is headed to Paramount+ U.S. in 2025.
A fresh slate of global unscripted series, expanding industry-defining franchises, include:
All Star Shore – a competition docu-series that will feature 14 of reality TV's most iconic stars from around the world and television's biggest series – including Jersey Shore Family Vacation, Love is Blind, RuPaul's Drag Race, Geordie Shore, Acapulco Shore, Bachelor in Paradise and more – as they come together for an epic vacation at the ultimate Shore house in Gran Canaria, Spain, to battle it out for the grand prize and global bragging rights.
Ink Master – the hit tattoo competition makes its premiere on Paramount+ in markets around the world with all-new episodes later this year. Featuring some of the nation's top tattoo artists battling it out in permanent ink for $250,000 and the prized title of Ink Master, the competitors will test their technical skills and on-the-spot creativity in challenges unlike ever before.
The Challenge: War of the Worlds – winners from four new Challenge series The Challenge: CBS (working title), The Challenge: Argentina, The Challenge: Australia and The Challenge: U.K. will advance to the first-ever globally connected tournament, The Challenge: War of the Worlds, and battle for the title of Challenge World Champion.
The Real World Homecoming: New Orleans – the third installment of the hit original unscripted series will reunite original New Orleans cast members David "Tokyo" Broom, Melissa Howard, Jamie Murray, Danny Roberts, Matt Smith, Julie Stoffer and Kelley Wolf in "The Big Easy." In addition, the original season of The Real World: New Orleans will be available to stream on Paramount+ beginning in April.
In addition to these all-new titles, seven upcoming iterations from THE SHORE franchise will launch on Paramount+ in territories around the globe, including Argentina Shore, Colombia Shore and Australian Shore, with more cities to be announced.
And, the following top-performing reality series have been renewed for Paramount+: Queen of the Universe, RuPaul's Drag Race All Stars and The Challenge: All Stars. Internationally, global phenomenons Acapulco Shore, Geordie Shore: Return of the OGs and Rio Shore have also been renewed.
The Taylor Sheridan universe continues to expand with new chapters of the Dutton family drama with a new original from the Yellowstone co-creator announced today:
1932 – the next chapter of the Yellowstone origin story is ordered. Produced by MTV Entertainment Studios and 101 Studios, 1932 will follow a new generation of Duttons during the time of western expansion, Prohibition and the Great Depression.
Additionally, casting and production updates were included for the following highly anticipated series:
Land Man – Academy Award® winner Billy Bob Thornton has been tapped to lead the upcoming series as a crisis manager for an oil company. Land Man will be executive produced by Taylor Sheridan and David C. Glasser, Ron Burkle, Bob Yari, David Hutkin and Geyer Kosinski. The series will also be executive produced by Dan Friedkin, Jason Hoch, Scott Brown, and Megan Creydt.
Lioness – Zoe Saldaña will play 'Joe,' a strong-willed, hard-nosed, station chief of the CIA's Lioness Program, and the show will be executive produced by Taylor Sheridan, David C. Glasser, Ron Burkle, Bob Yari and David Hutkin. Tom Brady will also serve as executive producer and showrunner. Nicole Kidman, with her production company Blossom Films, Zoe Saldaña, Geyer Kosinski, and Jill Wagner are also set to executive produce.
Tulsa King – previously announced and starring Sylvester Stallone, production begins March 2022 and the series will premiere this Fall.
New expansions of the most popular prime-time entertainment include:
NCIS: Sydney – a new original series from one of the biggest and most successful global franchises. The series, which is slated for 2023, will feature local stories with Australian actors and producers, and will be filmed in one of the world's most scenic harbor cities. Shane Brennan, the Aussie creator of NCIS: Los Angeles, is attached.
SEAL TEAM MOVIE – CBS will also expand the storytelling universe for the hit Paramount+ drama SEAL Team, producing a stand-alone movie for the streaming service.
Upcoming international hits in the making include:
A Gentleman in Moscow (UK) – based on the best-selling novel by Amor Towles, this drama series tells the story of Count Rostov who, in 1922, finds himself stuck in Moscow and on the wrong side of history. The Communist Party agrees to let him live but he is never allowed to set foot outside the Metropole Hotel until the day he dies. Co-produced by ViacomCBS International Studios (VIS) and eOne.
Sexy Beast (UK) – the prequel series, based on the hit cult classic film of the same name, begins with Gal Dove and Don Logan just as they descend into the seductive madness of the London criminal world during the vibrant and volatile 1990s. At its core, this is a love story between two men -- à la Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. In association with VIS, produced by Chapter One, with showrunner Michael Caleo (The Sopranos).
Simon Beckett's The Chemistry of Death (Germany) – a thrilling, psychological crime series based on Simon Beckett's bestselling novels following forensic anthropologist Dr. David Hunter. Written by BAFTA-winning screenwriter Sukey Venables Fisher (Electricity, Unconditional) and directed by Richard R. Clark (War of the Worlds, Versailles, Outlander), the series will be shot in the UK. Producing partners are Nadcon Film and Cuba Pictures, in association with VIS.
Yonder (South Korea) – set in 2032, Yonder is an unknown space designed for the dead to be able to live on by uploading memories of their lifetime from their brain. The story unfolds as a man receives a message from his deceased wife, inviting him to the unknown space, 'Yonder'. The drama/science-fiction series raises questions about life and death and what it means to have eternal happiness as humanity comes face to face with a world created by advancements in science technology. Presented by TVING (CJ ENM's streaming platform) and ViacomCBS, produced by Doodoong Pictures and CJ ENM, directed by Lee Joon-ik.
These new titles join a growing roster of previously announced and highly-anticipated scripted series, including: Fatal Attraction, Grease: Rise of the Pink Ladies, Rabbit Hole and The Offer.
Additionally, Season 2 renewals for Halo, and international hits Cecilia and Los Enviados (The Envoys) were announced. Season 2 of Super Pumped and Season 7 of Billions for SHOWTIME were also ordered.
In 2022, Digital to overtake TV to become the largest medium
• In 2021, Adex grew by 37%, Traditional Adex by 31% and Digital Adex by 50%
• Digital registered a 50% increase over 2020 and a 64% increase over 2019
• TV registered a 25% increase over 2020 and a 11% increase over 2019.
• TV and Digital now account for 72% of Adex
• Ecommerce became the second biggest category of Adex.
Madison Media is back with its predictions for the advertising industry for 2022. The Highlights of the Report were released to a large Audience this afternoon by Sam Balsara, Chairman, Madison World. According to Madison Media, Adex is expected to grow by 20% in 2022 and reach Rs. 90,000 crore. This growth is on the back of a dramatic Rs. 20,000 crore increase in 2021 inspite of Covid wave 2. In 2021 Digital grew by 50% and in 2022 is expected to pip Television to become the largest contributor to Adex with a share of 37%, compared to TV’s 36%. Print, too has grown dramatically by as much as 39%, retaining its share of 22% in Adex.
Key findings of the Report:
1) In 2021 total Adex grew by 37%, Traditional Adex by 31% and Digital Adex by as much as 50%.
2) In absolute terms, ADEX has grown from Rs. 54,151 crore to Rs. 74,231 crore and comfortably surpassed the 2019 figure of Rs. 67,603 crore by 10%.
3) Traditional Media contributes 66% of total Adex, whereas the global figure is 35%. Despite a growth of 31% in 2021, Traditional Media at Rs. 48,793 crore, has not reached its 2019 figure of Rs. 52,136 crore.
4) Digital Adex has now reached a share of 34% and is in striking distance of TV, the leader of the pack which ended the year with a share of 38%. TV and Digital Adex now account for 72% of Adex.
5) Q3 and Q4 2020 contributed to 60% of Adex. Q4 registered a whopping 49% increase over Q4 2019.
6) FMCG continues to be the main category, but its share moved down from 38% in 2020 to 34% in 2021.
7) Ecommerce emerged as the 2nd biggest category of Adex and the largest contributor to its growth, doubling in size from Rs. 3,000 crore to Rs. 6,000 crore.
8) 15 new-age Companies / start-ups have entered our list of Top 50 advertisers namely, Dream 11, BYJU’s, Phone Pe, Upstox, My 11 Circle, CRED, Netmed, MPL, Policybazaar, Unacademy, WhiteHat Jr, Swiggy, Netflix, Coin Switch Kuber and Coin DCX.
1) TV registered a high growth of 25% to reach Rs. 28,151 crore, following a 11% de-growth in 2020. TV is the only traditional medium that has comfortably surpassed the 2019 number of Rs. 25,291 crore, by as much as 11%. TV’s market share is at 38%, down from a high of 42% last year but one percentage point higher than 2019.
2) TV Adex witnessed a 25% spike in Ad volume or FCT in 2021 over 2020 and a 11% increase against 2019. Significantly ad volume in 2021 is higher than 2020 in all four quarters.
3) FMCG continues to be the largest contributor to TV Adex with a share of 46%, but lost as much as five percentage points from a high of 51% in 2020. Ecommerce, the 2nd largest contributor to TV Adex, increased its share from 11% to 18%, followed by Edtech which increased its share from 4% to 6%.
4) News as a genre has registered a high growth of 19% over 2019 and 29% over 2020. Marathi and Tamil Regionals have also grown dramatically by 36% and 24% respectively over 2019. Second line GECs de-grew by a massive 18% and mainline GECs de-grew by a negligible 3%. Hindi GEC continues to be the largest segment, followed by Sports and then News.
5) TV Adex is expected to grow by 14% in 2022 to reach Rs. 32,100 crore, 27% higher than 2019.
1) Digital grows by 50% in 2021 to reach Rs. 25,438 crore and has emerged as a strong No 2 for the 2nd consecutive year, at 34% share, a little short of TV at 38%. Digital has achieved a CAGR of 27% over last 10 years.
2) Q4 was the largest quarter, where Digital Adex touched almost Rs. 10,000 crore and contributed 39% to the full year.
3) Video is the highest contributor to Digital with a share of 29%, followed by Social & Display at 20% each. E-commerce and Search now contribute 16% each to overall digital pie. In terms of growth rate, E-commerce has grown significantly by as much as 50%. Display, Video and Search have also grown substantially at 30%+.
4) Programmatic has firmly taken route in India and its share continues to be 42%.
5) Ecommerce advertising revenue is rising rapidly and we estimate ecommerce advertising spends in 2021 to be at Rs. 4,100 crore, mainly on the back of Amazon and Flipkart, but newer entrants like Nykaa, Big Basket and JioMart are also finding favour with a relevant set of advertisers.
6) Digital is set to grow by 30% in 2022 to reach Rs. 33,070 crore and set to emerge as the single largest contributor to Adex, overtaking TV by almost a 1000 crores.
1) Following a 41% decline in 2020, Print Adex grew by a whopping 39% to reach Rs. 16,595 crore. Despite the high growth rate, Print is still only at its 2015 levels and has registered a 16% drop vs 2019.
2) With a share of 22% in Adex, India is the Print Capital of the world, along with Germany. Global share of Print is a mere 5%.
3) Print volume in terms of CC has also gone up by 31%.
4) 3 categories FMCG, Education and Auto make up 45% of total Print Adex. Both FMCG and Auto have come down in share by 2 percentage points each.
5) English and Hindi publications put together, contribute to 63% of total Adex volume. English publications grew 40% over 2020. Hindi publications which are the largest volume contributor, also grew by 30%, Telugu by 37%, Assamese & Marathi by 33% and Bengali by 27%. All languages grew, the least to have grown are Kannada, Gujarati and Punjabi by 18-19%.
6) Print Adex is expected to grow by 13% in 2022 to reach Rs. 18,750 crore, but it will still be at the level it reached in 2017.
E. Other Media
1) OOH Adex has registered a high growth of 69%, taking the industry to Rs. 2,178 crore, but still way below 2019 level. Conventional OOH grew by 63% and Transit Outdoor by almost 100%. Digital OOH is also beginning to take root and grew from Rs. 50 crore to Rs 300 crore and has a share of 13.77%, far below the global average of 40%. We expect OOH Adex to grow by 36%, to reach Rs. 3,000 crore, the level it had reached in 2017.
2) Radio Adex has grown by 36% to reach Rs. 1,733 crore, with a share of just 2 %. With this Radio is at the level it had reached in 2016. We expect Radio Adex to grow by 10% and reach Rs. 1,900 crore.
3) Cinema has been by far the worst affected medium. Because of 2 years of Covid, it has degrown by a further 25% over 2020 to reach Rs. 136 crores. We expect Cinema to grow by 267% to reach Rs. 500 crore, almost half of the pre Covid level of Rs. 1050 crore.
Says Mr. Sam Balsara, Chairman, Madison World, “Advertisers seem to be returning to advertising with a vengeance. After Covid year 2020, Global Adex has registered a whopping 21% growth in 2021 and 18% versus pre-covid 2019. Compare this with a compounded annual growth rate of just 5% over 10 years from 2010 to 2019. India infact leads this return, with a growth of 37%, compared to a last 10-year compounded annual growth rate of just 10.4%.”
TV9 Bangla, the biggest disruptor of Bangla News television has onboarded senior journalist Anirban Choudhury, a well-known face in the region.
Adding muscle to Channel’s prime time offering, Choudhury will Anchor the 10pm show on TV9 Bangla. In his earlier on-air role, he has built a strong and loyal viewership for the prime-time slot.
Choudhury will also editorially man the eastern region for News9 Plus, the soon to be launched English OTT News service for the GenFlix.
Anirban Choudhury, said, “TV9 Bangla, within a year of its launch, has already assumed the thought leadership in the region. I want to further enrich the proposition by bringing on board fresh ideas with a new perspective and re-attain my supremacy at the 10 pm slot. Alongside I am excited to be part of the bold and first of its kind initiative, News9 Plus.”
TV9 Bangla has also roped in Pew Roy, a senior journalist and among the most familiar prime time faces of Bengali news television.
On joining TV9 Bangla, Roy said, “TV9 Network is India’s news leader, and I am extremely proud to be a part of TV9 Bangla. I am looking forward to work with some of the best-known editors to make a credible contribution.”
Welcoming them, Barun Das, CEO, TV9 Network said: “Having made a great start, TV9 Bangla is now gearing up for the undisputed leadership position as we enjoy in all other regional markets. Anirban and Pew bring onboard invaluable editorial experience and will help us reimagine Bangla news primetime.”
Amritanshu Bhattacharya, Managing Editor, TV9 Bangla said, “As the youngest member of India’s No. 1 News Network, TV9 Bangla has always strived and met great expectations of the viewers and the management alike. With Anirban and Pew on board we are now undoubtedly the most formidable editorial team of Bangla news television.”
Volleyball Federation of India - the governing body for the Olympic sport of Volleyball in India, today announced the inaugural season of the Indian Volleyball League (IVL)in partnership with Eurosport India - Discovery Network's premium sports brand.
Volleyball, a fast-paced exciting sport enjoys popularity across India and with Eurosport India as the official global broadcasters of IVL, Indian Volleyball is set to make rapid strides both in India as well as the international markets. Audiences will also be able to LIVE stream the league at discovery+ app.
The IVL, tentatively scheduled to kick-start around June-July 2022, will be the premier volleyball league in the country, sanctioned both by the Asian Volleyball Confederation and International Volleyball Federation (FIVB). The IVL also proposes to have six to eight new franchise’s representing various cities across India. The teams will have a mix of top players from the Indian national team along with talented players from various states as well as a host of top international players in its roster for the inaugural season.
Mr. Ruchir Jain, Head of Eurosport India and Distribution- South Asia, Discovery, Inc. said, “It’s been our constant endeavor to build communities for all sports alike, and now to have Volleyball in our roster is a proud moment. We are delighted to be playing a role in popularizing the fast-paced exciting sport of Volleyball across India and helping Indian volleyball reach to sports fans across the globe. The Indian Volleyball League is definitely the future that the sport deserves, and we are not only excited to play our part in this but also would commend the Volleyball Federation of India for their vision in making Indian volleyball truly global in nature.”
Also sharing his thoughts on the occasion, Prof. (Dr.) AchyutaSamanta, Hon’ble Member of Parliament & President, Volleyball Federation of India said, “It is a momentous occasion for Indian Volleyball, and we are thrilled to have a globally respected brand like Discovery on board with us. We are sure they will help us take the league to places and together we aim to uplift the sports standard in the near future as one of top international volleyball leagues globally.
Mr. Ramavtar Singh Jakhar, Zonal Executive Vice-President, Asian Volleyball Confederation (AVC), and Chairman, Indian Volleyball League said that he is very happy that Eurosport India – Discovery Network's premium sports channel has come forward to partner with Indian Volleyball League which will go a long way in developing the game of Volleyball in India. He also said that the young Volleyball players in India will benefit a lot and surely this Indian Volleyball League will become a rousing hit in India and abroad.
The proposed Indian Volleyball League will be an annual feature in the global volleyball calendar and will soon announce the process of applying for the ownership of new franchises through the official website of the Indian Volleyball League& Volleyball Federation of India.